Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It Happened!

In the morning all was fine, late afternoon my computer had been seized.  Some program wanted to fix all the damage at a price.  Mike said this was who had given me the virus in the first place.  What did I open that I shouldn't?  I have a vague recollection of giving permission to something I shouldn't have when I was checking out glutenfree recipes.  I should not have said ok, when Webroot was warning me it was not a safe site.  That is what I pay them for, isn't it?  Dumb, dumb me, not thinking.  My Webroot Security was still working though and they quickly found the two virus and quarantined them.  Hopefully nothing is still lurking.  I had to reinstall all my files from Carbonite and then they began the task of restoring all my files.  It will take two days.

I am so glad that Mary Anne and Jean told me about Carbonite last year, this is the second time I have saved my data.  Last year it was the computer that broke and I bought a new one and Carbonite put everything on the new computer they had been storing.  Now this, never thought it would happen to me but paying for security and backup is worth it.

I did find two interesting sites yesterday as I was exploring.  Hope they are not the ones that did me damage.  One was Luminosity.  The thing I chose to do was have them give me certain exercises to improve my skills of focus and memory.  It is like playing games.  The other interesting site was StumbleUpon which are all kinds of interesting sites and pictures.

The other interesting thing that was sent to me yesterday is an article on FEMA and lack of funds for disasters.  The present administration does not want to ask for more funds as it is an election year.  Thus projects that have been started have been put on hold and response to disasters is thwarted.  This, of course, affects my job also.  That being said, I must admit, that like all government programs, I have seen a lot of mismanagement and waste of the funds being received and the funds not getting used where they are needed.  We all need to be better prepared to take care of ourselves is the one answer and the second is to try and monitor this necessary beast called government.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far