Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Day, 2011

Christmas Day I awoke early and fed Bandido and sent him outside and then because I stayed up so late I went back to bed for another hour of sleep.  Oops, I awoke at 9:20.  Ordinarily if I did that I would say it is too hard to get myself together and be late for Church when it is only an hour anyway.

But I really wanted to go so I quickly dressed and made myself up (hair and make up looked not too good as I saw later in Melissa's pictures).  But I am so glad I hurried and only missed part of the first song.  Jane Brown's son and Kaylene, home from BYU, did some beautiful musical numbers.  Kaylene gave me a big hug after and is so happy to be at BYU.  She and I had talked on the same Sunday this past year and talked afterward a long time about going to BYU.  She looked more beautiful than ever.  Her sister is looking so beautiful, too, but I think when Kaylene is home Kristin takes a back seat and lets Kaylene get all the glory.

Anyway Ron Martin gave a good message and then BP Goolsby gave A Christmas Story.  It was about how life is like a puzzle and sometimes there is a missing piece and then when we find it, it fills and completes our life.  He told about the death of his second son at four months and how it hurt them and their marriage and the struggle they had and they decided to adopt because Darcy had diabetes and pregnancy was so hard on her.  The next year they unexcpectedly had the opportunity to get Josie a year before they thought they would be allowed.  She is part black but as soon as Darcy held her, she said This is our Josie!  And she has been such a blessing in their  life.  Darcy died when Josie was in Jr High and she was so strong through it all.  John said he asked her how she did it and she said,  "I don't know, Dad, I just do it."  She is a beautiful girl who married this past year.  

I found out his son Jesse writes and so I went on line and read a couple of his short stories and he is quite a writer.  He is writing a novel.  He is not active in the Church but has certainly done well in his education and is working at the pentagon now.  He has a lovely wife and two childdren.  Josie married in the Oakland Temple.  John is married to a nonmember but he said he felt Darcy picked her out for him.  She is such a lovely lady and is always a wonderful hostess to the Branch when we go to their home for parties but she does not come to Church for anything.  What a complicated life Bro Goolsby must have to maintain the balance.


2011 Pix

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far