Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Bandido


Early in November 1996 Richard and I were on a drive in Rancho Bernardo when we were attracted by a "Puppies for Sale" sign.  We watched the puppies for awhile and were especially attracted by a little Lhasa Apso/Maltese puppy who had a band of color across his eyes.  I began to call him "Bandit".  I wanted to get him but he cost so much!  We were in severe financial straits but Richard agreed we should get him.  It was very strange our wanting a puppy--completely out of character and unplanned.

One evening as Richard lay on the couch and I was sitting in my rocker with Bandido on my lap, Richard began to talk about our "Golden Anniversary" in 2009 and the fact that Bandido would be 13 years old then!

Three weeks later on a trip to Susanville Richard passed away and Bandido became my only companion for the next 16 years.  Richard had renamed "Bandit--Bandido", the Spanish version of the word Bandit.  Richard loved working with the Spanish people and wanted to go on another mission someday to the Spanish people.



One day when working in the San Diego Temple months later, I asked the Spanish lady working with me how I should be spelling "Bandido".  She explained that Bandido spelled with a d meant Bandit and Bandito spelled with a T meant Blesssed. 

So over the years he has been Bandit (the rascal) or Blessed depending how anyone would spell his name and how he was acting.  In the  picture above we are living in the apartment in James's Pacific Beach home.  He was always so adoring and adorable.

Later after moving to our Lake Almanor home he would wear a moutain kerchief or a raincoat on a cool day.  I called our mountain home "The Great Escape" relating to Bandido and my escaping from the city to the mountains.

Over the years Bandido has been a very faithful and loving companion.  When I worked in Disaster for several years he would stay with my daughter or son or my sister.  He had many who loved him and he them.  One time when I picked him up from my sister he was very confused as to his loyalty.  She treated him so well.


I loved this wise look.  He always seemed to know when I needed comforting and he would always let me know exactly what he wanted, too.


Bandido, a wonderful dog, companion and friend for over 16 years.  We love you, Bandido, Farewell and I hope you are reunited with Richard.

Bandido
Always Loved
1996-2012
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.  

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together


in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands 

again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so 

long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.


Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far