Monday, December 10, 2012

Fond Memories from College

Some of my fondest memories from college:

Christy and Allen Hall, sunning on the deck, going to the dances, endless talking and laughing, the wonderful food, peanut butter and bread and canned peaches hidden in our drawers, playing "Perfidia" on the piano as I remembered my boyfriend. Going to Idaho with Del and Doyle and Christy and two others, such a fun weekend at their farms and the Stake dance. Going to the Genealogy Building on the bus on Thursday nights and copying all the information I could find, Erica giving me the treasured Record Book to take care of and telling me that was my mission. Actually singing and dancing in a musical. Sunday Church in the Joseph Smith Building, such a large group of us, testimony meeting was amazing. "Jim" from Idaho and the blind date for the dance--he made me laugh, such a sweet, humble, poor guy who didn't have a decent shirt to wear. For the rest of the quarter he would run to catch up with me every day as we went to lower campus and then he was gone from my life and I never knew what happened to him. So poor he had to quit? mission? Total mystery but one of those unforgettable people you meet once in awhile. The football games, basketball games, and the Tuesday Devotionals, I loved them, mostly the apostles came to speak to us. Being able to meet Pres McKay when he came to visit...my freshman year was so full.

Next fall I lived in a house off campus and I didn't like it as well as living in the dorms and it was further to walk. I had to get insets to wear because my arches were breaking down in those flats we wore. But I enjoyed going to the Genealogical Building and my Genealogy Class, big highlight with Archibald Bennett as our teacher. My coat with the fur collar, being pulled on a sled in the snow by a car--the boys from Wyoming who lived across the street. At Christmas I stayed home to help my Dad and then I came back in the spring.

The summer was to be so fun living in Campus Dorm with Ellie, working at the Dairy Freez, picking apples from the BYU Orchard at midnight, gathering around the piano and Janie entertained us and working at the switchboard. The guys would all stop and talk because I was sitting there all alone at night with not many calls to tend to, and I was knitting argyle sox and I was asked on so many dates I couldn't go on because I was working at night either at the Freez or the Switchboard. Unbelievable. In the fall I worked as a proctor in the daytime for the new freshman taking tests and I met Ivan, he was the football player from Tempe, another great guy, we dated all quarter, not sure what happened. That fall I was living in the new Heritage Halls...

Marta and......what did I intend to write here???






No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far