Saturday, February 16, 2008

Favorite Things for Valentines Day

Valentines Day gave me an excuse to spend the whole day just doing my favorite things.
First--Lay in bed just a little longer. Since I bought my soft, flannel sheets from Bed, Bath and Beyond I love to linger in that cozy warmth. (When I was a freshman at college my roommates had a nickname for me (can't remember what) because I always jumped out of bed as soon as I woke up. That pretty much has been my life till now!)
Second--Check my email--pleasant surprise, a valentine of sorts! Work on my music Playlists. I now have two with 100 songs in them. This is different than my IPOD which I take walking and listen to in the car. These other Playlists are free music and I listen to them when I am doing office work and I go to sleep to them and of course, they are also on my blog. The most fun? Finding out who sings songs I have loved but never known who was singing them--like Boz Scaggs and Sting.
Third--Open up all the shades to let the sunshine in and then make a wood fire. Next, make an incredible breakfast. Today it was a perfect Grandma's Pancake (Oven Pancake). To make a perfect one you need an old time heavy skillet, which I bought last summer while in San Diego.
Fourth--Play a favorite song on my organ. Today it was working on "On My Own" which I think is one of the all time greats of an "unrequited love song". This is the song Eponine sings about Marius in "Les Miserables" when she realizes he loves Cosette. I love the line "Without me his world will go on turning. The world is full of happiness that I have never known." Note: I did not realize she was the daughter of the wicked Inn Keeper and his wife who were so cruel to Cosette.
Fifth--This led me to put "Les Miserables--10th Anniversary" in the VCR. It never ceases to lift me and stir me. For some reason I never was able to see it on the stage so it was very fortunate that this was the musical I saw with my daughters when we went to London in 2006.
Sixth--Finally it was time to get dressed in a favorite pair of jeans and a favorite red sweatshirt from Park City, but only after trying some new makeup and fluffing my hair a little more--No one is going to see me, but I will...and I am still waiting for that prince on the white charger to storm up my driveway! ha

Seventh--Almost lunch time so I prepare a favorite panini sandwich and treat myself to a Diet Dr. Pepper topped off by delicious Flan, which I made yesterday for just such an occasion.

Eighth--By now "Les Miserables" is finishing up so I go to the organ and work on the timing of "On My Own" a little better to match what I have heard and then it is about time for an afternoon nap.
Ninth--I, of course, take my nap under my flannel sheets and goose down comforter with the light flannel coverlet I made thrown up over my head so the room is very dark. Since my plans have changed from dinner and movie tonight to dinner and Symphony tomorrow night I sleep until 5 PM!!
Tenth--Bandido and I take our daily brisk walk and I even try jogging a little. Of course, I have my terrific IPOD to listen to and today I choose Michael Buble, a favorite, favorite.
Eleventh--Special day calls for Lasagna for supper--from the freezer, but perfect. And for dessert that special Flan I made yesterday--yes, twice today, because it is Valentines Day. Reminded me of how many Creme Brulees I had while on the Cruise in the Mediterranean. You could order one any time of day, plus they were served at every buffet. I can never get enough of Creme Brulee.
Evening--I have to choose some good "love stories" to watch. Since I just watched my favorites from my collection I turn to ones I have recently recorded and find "Catch and Release" which I can't remember too well, but know I liked so that was number one and then finish with one I know I love and I remember well, "Holiday". "Holiday" is another movie by Nancy Meyers. She writes and directs her movies and I like everything she does.

Bedtime--Throw another log on the fire. Turn on one of my playlists, take a hot bubble bath, and finally into my comfy long ski underwear and flannel pajamas and sweatshirt and settle down under my flannel sheets and comforter for a very snuggy, sound sleep. It has been a perfect day of doing "my favorite things". Who thought retirement could be so pleasant?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far