Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mitch and Susanville Symphony

I had a very enjoyable evening with Maria's
son Mitch last night. We ate at my favorite "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and chatted. Mitch is always fun to talk with. Maria had said to be early as the Methodist Church is small and fills up fast. Still it seemed we had 45 minutes so Mitch filled up my gas tank on the way. So nice to have a man around for a change!
We were more than one half hour early, but still it was mostly filled up except for the section where they directed us to sit. There were three rows of pews with cushions and then several rows of folding chairs. We chose the second pew and then decided to move to the first pew. A lady came up to us and asked if we were part of "Heather's family", as the seats were reserved for them, and then she directed us to the folding chairs and wondered why no one had directed us there in the first place.
Of course, no one paid attention as the pews began to fill up and even "Heather's family" came. There was, however, room enough for Mitch and I on the second pew and the lady, now realizing we had been the first there and were on the "hard seats", motioned for us to sit on the second pew. I especially liked my seat because I could see the face and watch the hands of the director as he emphasized everything he wanted.
I had remembered some of the things Maria had told me about him as he had organized the Symphony about 4 years ago. He is very dramatic and fun to watch and the music was very lovely, especially the theme from "Somewhere in Time". I vowed to come home and watch it again.
There was a guest pianist from Russia who played some familiar concertos exquisitely and also a slim opera singer who was excellent. She was the "Heather" and sat in the row in front of us. As she sang her last song with so much power and gusto for such a tiny person I became curious about how one becomes an opera singer rather than another kind of singer.
Being so close I had the opportunity to ask her if she knew as a child she would sing Opera. She said, "Yes, I knew at age 9 when I saw "Madame Butterfly". I had a strong desire to sing just like that." "Was it because of your voice or because of your desire," I asked. She said, "It was a dual thing, you have the "fire" and are given the "fuel". Obviously she has answered that before but I thought it was very interesting.
As we slowly made our way up to the one door at the front of the church I remembered in movies and stories of people being shut up in a church and all burning to death. I think I know now why it could easily happen.
Anyway, it was a very pleasant evening for which I thank Mitch and Maria. Maria had won two tickets to the concert on Saturday night so Mitch took me instead of her.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far