Friday, February 19, 2010

Getting Through the Night

So many times we just have to get through it--no enjoying the moment, just get through it.  That is how I would describe the night before a colonoscopy.  I think I know the perfect strategy for surviving though, if anyone ever needs to know.  But what is this being cold business?  I have heat on, sweatshirt over my flannels, quilt wrapped around me.  Is it the dehydration of your body that makes you cold??? Hmmm.

On with my medical saga.  I don't write these things because they are interesting.  I write them so I will remember.  Today I talked to a Medicare person to do a little questioning and complaining.  Surprise, surprise, he was available, caring, and helpful.  Who knew?  Anyway he couldn't give his opinion about things I asked but gave me a number of someone who could.  And lo and behold a quick call back to me.  Honestly--our Tax Dollars at work.

Seems for where I live I have chosen correctly with Medicare Primary and a Supplement rather than a PPO or HMO.  She also said I should have gotten the under $20 a month Medicare D that was offered in December.  Never heard.  But she said the $24 deal I have is a close second.  She said on some iffy kind of procedures it can be difficult to get good answers up front from Medicare but to try and find doctors that are Medicare friendly and experienced.  It helps.

I had a nice visit with my podiatrist today who also is in the same place as my skin surgeon Dr. Barbara.  She looked at my nose and said it will heal just as well as it would have if it hadn't separated (really?) but it will just take a little longer.  Do not use Mederma on it yet (used it too soon again and it kept getting red and ugly).  Anyway it is a lot better today.

I have, according to the Dr. Walter, a beautiful foot (looking at my ex-rays) no arthritis or other problems.  But my second metatarsal is currently lower than the others and taking the brunt of my steps so it is inflamed.  He put a pad on the bottom to wear for four days, not get wet, and stay off of it and take ibprofen and see how it is Tuesday.  He looked at the Dr Scholl foot pads I bought yesterday and said they were good and would help a lot (they have).  CVS Pharmacy has a Dr. Scholl contraption that analyzes your foot problem by having you stand on it.  Very interesting.  He asked how much I paid for it and said that was not bad at all.  If  I had gotten it at the Good Foot store they would have charged about 4 times more and it still would not be custom made.  Hmm.  I wonder if that is what is coming next.  Something custom made for me.  Anyway it already feels better as he leveled the playing field with the other metatarsals.  He also said our skin gets much thinner as we get older so we feel the pain more.  Marjorie can't stand to go barefoot--maybe I need to think that way.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far