Saturday, December 18, 2010

And What A Busy Week!

First thing this week the power went off.  This is what happens especially when we have a minor or major storm.  But this time I was ready.  Just last week I had plugged in my landline only phone so I could call out when the power went done (I listened to the PG & E man the last time he came out on an outtage).

Also last week I bought a flashlight just like the dishwasher installer had--so when the power went out I had my trusty flashlight and continued on with my life.  (It was 6 AM and I was at the computer and it was still black as pitch outside.)

I looked across my back yard and could see the neighbors still had light.  I looked down the front street and saw other neighbors still had light.  Was this only me?  Oh, no, I don't want to go out and flick the fuses, I will wait and see...  Sometimes the power bounces right back on, not this time.

I used my flashlight to find a P G & E bill and called them.  Oh, no, I was the first to call in.  You know what they think, I am some old lady who has blown a fuse and is going to make them run all the way out to my house and turn it on.  She took my number and assured me someone would be out soon or they would call when they found out what was wrong.

No one came, no call, however, I was able to go on with my life because I had my flashlight.  It is eerily quiet when the power goes out.  There is no hum of anything.  I kind of liked it.  I look outside again--the lights have gone out at the neighbors, it is not just me.

About eight o'clock I empty the garbage and when I come back in--there is a hum, the furnace is on, the computer is on, the lights are on...

I have successfully made it through the first outtage of the winter--and what did I have for breakfast?  Peanut butter, of course. 

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far