Friday, May 13, 2011

Disaster Duty 2011

Wednesday at 1:38 pm I was awaken from a nap and told I would be flying out east tomorrow. It was finally decided I would fly out in the morning so would pack and drive down to Sacramento that night. I left at 6 pm and arrived at Melissa's apt at 9:30. I took a rest on Melissa's bed and awoke at 2 am and Melissa and Mitch drove me to the airport at 3:45 am. Poor Melissa slept on the couch!

I am working for the SBA Field Operations Center-East which means I will be east of the Mississippi. We flew to Orlando and then on to Jackson and I rented a Kia. I like Jackson and I like the Kia. I met Stan from Sacramento on the plane and I tried to follow him--doesn't work, too many white cars. I like the pace of driving in Jackson, though--not so frantic as CA and as you can see it is beautiful with all the trees and interesting clouds.

 Thursday we met with our director and were assigned to new Disaster Centers that are opening up. Three of us are driving up to Southhaven, Ms which is just south of Memphis, Tenn. There has been both flooding and tornadoes in the area. The place we met at is going to be the big base of operations for FEMA and it is huge. Evidently it was an abandoned business park and they are still setting it up.  This is a view from the back of the building.

As usual everyone I meet at SBA is very nice. I remembered Dan from Guam and John from Sacramento. I will be driving up north with Jon from Louisville, Ky and Stan from California. Also as usual I am the Great Grandma of the group.  We all have our own cars so we can be reassigned to different centers as needed.

And as everyone warned me, it is humid here in the afternoon.  Also there have been storm warnings on the radio all afternoon.  It is probably a good thing I don't know how close these places are to me. 
These clouds remind me of the kind we had in Montana in the summer.

I did drive over to Wal Mart for some yogurt and it is half the price as California.  I also went to Dillards for the face cream I left at home--it is the same price here.  Dillards had a lot of tempting clothes but I swear I am not buying any more clothes and I am eating very light so I don't gain a lot of weight!

I am staying at the Fairfield but our leader told us 15 cars were broken in to at another Jackson hotel so I brought my GPS in.  How did we ever get along without them?  I am so turned around here, I never know where I am but I just follow directions and eventually get there.

They have me booked for 30 days at the Courtyard in Southhaven but not sure how much that means. 

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far