Monday, May 16, 2011

My BIG BOSS and I Cross Paths Today!

President Obama and I were in Memphis today at the same time.  I was picking up supplies from Holiday Express on Union Street and he was traveling on the highway below.  They blocked traffic for about an hour.  Also all along the highway from Southaven to Memphis there were police cars parked with their lights flashing.   I was hoping to take a picture of the black SUVs as they flashed by, but never saw them.  I was also late getting to my destination but no problem, they understood.


From Memphis I drove along a peaceful highway to Obion, TN where a Disaster Center has been set up and later checked in to the Hampton in Union City about twenty miles away.  I tried to take some pictures of the thickets of trees and lovely green fields as I sped by---will post tomorrow.


Mississippi and Tennessee are very flat.  The Tennessee area I am in is very sparsely settled--must be farmlands, however the town has a lot of car lots and car businesses and a lot of fast food and a movie theater just five minutes from my hotel.  I pass one homestead I am curious about as I go from the Center to my hotel.  There are three mansions in a circular fashion with lovely landscaping at the entrance and their own lake on the side.  Curious who lives there.  Most of the homes are very modest looking.

Two of the families who came in today had their autos damaged and the other family had their flooring damaged.  Since the Center has not been advertised yet, it was a surprise to see them.  However, there is a big FEMA Mobile parked by the side of the Community Center and I am sure they saw the
name.

I also had watermelon tonight--wonder if it was from Tennessee or Mexico???

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far