Monday, May 23, 2011

Reelfoot Lake

In the 1811-1812 era there was an earthquake and this lake was a result. It is about 15 miles off Hiway 51 on the other side of Troy. We pass Troy every day on the way to Obion. I drove out there the other day at lunch. It takes quite a long time. Evidently there are several kinds of fish, catfish being one. So I sought out a local restaurant that serves catfish and it was very good. In fact, it was the best place I have eaten here yet.

Today while I was standing in front of the office one of the locals walked over and chatted with me. He said he didn't understand why they put the Center in Obion where there is nothing going on. He said in 1997 there was a bad flood and the worst places were "bought out" with the understanding that if they stayed there they could never get help from the government again. He said also the people here are very self-sufficient.

Evidently we had a lightening storm last night and I slept right through it. Yea. Except for not being surrounded by hills it reminds me of Montana here. The sky, the breeze, the scenery. The farms are beautiful. Obion stands for 'River of Many Branches' and was started by the Mississippi indians in the 1700s. Very peaceful life here.

Yesterday a lady brought in a beautiful 3-layer carrot cake.  It looked delicious but with my gluten intolerance problem I did not attempt to eat any.  I am missing lots of goodies that the younger ones are eaten...such a bore being old with a touchy digestion.

Michael picked up my mail today and paid some bills for me.  So nice having him in charge and taking care of things.  Bandido has been groomed, my car has been serviced and all is well on the home front.  Thank you, Michael.

Unfortunately the deer repellent I put in my bushes didn't work and the two bushes on the left side I took the wire cages off were stripped by the deer!!!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far