Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What Now?

I am enjoying being home but it is too cold.  Today I decided I better start watering as winter is surely over and spent the morning watering the front and back.  This afternoon it rained and rained and turned colder.  Summer is not here yet.

I enjoy having Michael here.  Yesterday we shopped, cooked a mexican dinner, watched a scary movie, and then played Trivia on the TV.  Michael won, of course. 

Today I had an email from an SBA friend in Sacramento and she said some of the workers in Joplin are having to travel 3 hrs back and forth.  Wow, that would be hard.  Maybe it is good I am here.

Sunday, we had a lesson on desires, choices, priorities, and actions.  I've always had a pretty good work ethic, learned from my parents I am sure.  As my father taught us, "Always be worth more than you are paid."  I have accomplished a lot as I have had to reinvent myself several times to fit the current needs in my life.  And I have always worked hard to learn and succeed in whatever role I was required to do at that time as I went from one career to another.

But it got me to thinking about where we get our desires.  If you have the right desires, it is easy to make the right choices.  Where do those desires come from?  Circumstances for one.  After Richard died and I had to sell my "retirement home". I really desired to have my own home again.  I worked relentlessly toward that end and the miracle happened even though I had to 'start over' again in my late 60's with only $25,000, my car, computer, furniture and clothes.

When Colleen and I came to San Diego to teach and had explored the city I had the desire to live in La Jolla someday.  That goal was reached 13 years later.

I had always wanted to marry in the Temple and that finally happened in 1960.  My desire to live in the mountains finally happened in 1999.  When we had the money, I could never talk Richard into investing in a home in Big Bear, though I tried.

I never had any great aspirations to be rich, or successful other than being a good Mom, Grandma, wife and serve in the church.  I can see I should have had loftier desires toward being rich and I might not have to still be working.  So where do those desires come from?  People we associate with, our reading, our listening, our family, inspiration from the Lord, where?  Something to think about.

After I saw Nadine's Memory books, I wanted my own.  I now have 37 scrapbooks, or memory books and I have written and printed a book on part of my life and working on the rest.  I have organized 10 large books of letters, emails, etc from the 40's to when I started blogging in 2005.   I have worked since the 50's on my genealogy and sent many names to the Temple.  Am I finished with everything I started, no, there is always more to do but I haven't been lazy, either.  The question is where did I get the desire to do it all?  Why does one work on acquiring friends and another work on writing books?  It is a mystery to me...but right now I am bored doing all the things I do and need a recharge, a reset, or something.  What now???  Hmmm, thinking about it...

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far