Sunday, August 23, 2009

From Sixth Grade to Miss America Pageant

My first date was a double date in sixth grade in Glendive, Montana. I went with my neighbor George and my girlfriend Berta Mae (Carla) went with Bill. Years later when Bill was in the service he learned about Berta Mae running for Miss America. This is the story he sent me today.
Hey, Janet,
I've enjoyed your blog about your Sweden trip and the time you and your girls spent in Copenhagen. It reminded me of the time I made the same trip. It is beautiful and enchanting. Of course, my trip was some time ago while I was in the Service.

I had spent Christmas in Bergen, Norway, and was on my way back to Germany. I decided to stop and spend a week or two with friends in Copenhagen. We shared a small apartment. Quite often, we would go to the public baths as they had a very large swimming pool (I love to swim). On the way back one day my friend suggested we stop by the newspaper building so she could practice her English. She said they put out American newspapers and they're fun to read.
The papers were full of stories, about the 1956, "Miss America Pageant". My friend knew I was from Montana, and right away looked up Miss Montana. Then the question came, "Did you know her?"
"Of course I knew her, I used to date her in grade school."
"Oh!! Bill, you're so funny, I just knew you were going to say something like that."
AND.., that's how I found out that Berta Mae (Carla), was in the Miss America Pageant. I knew it was true I had dated her, and never felt it had to be proved.
Two weeks later I was in Tripoli North Africa chasing guided missiles in the Saharah desert. I never really thought about it again, until you started blogging things.
Thanks, Bill H
Anyway, that is his story and he is sticking to it and so will I.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far