Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why Women Need Chocolate

Linda and I at the Chocolate Store in Gamla Stan.
Interesting to me in this book I find I have the 'Food Race Roar'. This probably comes from growing up with five other siblings during the depression and then WWII. We had plenty to eat, but you better be there when it was served or hot out of the oven because there was not going to be any leftovers. So even now it is a food race with myself. If there is a food I crave around, I get the urge to "eat it all now as fast as you can while you have the chance--because you may not be presented with this opportunity again."

When I am living at the Pulsipher's I love to eat all their left overs. There can be steak and potatoes left from Sunday that I can live on for three days!! And then there is always the goodies in the cupboard. I am not always sure whose they are but if they are there, they are to eat, right?

I also found that the way I used to eat was the right way to eat. I ate all the foods I enjoyed including bread and muffins and butter and if I wanted a sweet I didn't deprive myself. Before I was married I remember my helicopter friend saying he liked to take me out to dinner because I enjoyed eating so much--he also called me "queen of the goodies racket". Now if I have the urge to eat that cookie I will try and convince myself it is bad for me and eat something good for me like cottage cheese, and then an apple, and then some celery, etc. before finally giving in and eating the cookie. In the meantime I have added another 600 calories to my food intake. Much better to listen to your body and just not eat so much.

So when did I start this diet syndrome? It was after I had one of the babies. I realized I had gained 12 lbs since I had married and I went to Weight Watchers. When they weighed me in at 129 they said the program was not really designed for me. But I felt so fat!

The other reason for wrong eating that applies to me is 'The Emotional Outcry'. "The heart is crying out to be nurtured, but we may literally try to stuff the sadness or anger back down with food." quoting Debra Waterhouse. Been there, done that. So I can see the trick will be deciphering when the body is asking for food and when my heart is...

Yes, this is a book to learn from... I can see the exercise part is coming soon, yuk. My latest form of exercise is bending over and picking up all the fallen branches each morning. Good for getting rid of my 'muffin top', right? And also dancing around occasionally while watching a good show on tv. (Besides the yard work, that is, and walking Bandido).

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far