Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Happy Birthday, Richard.

Today Richard would have turned 78 years old. I so appreciate that his Mom saved so many of his letters. I was just noticing today that when I was graduating from BYU, he was embarking on his mission to the Spanish-American Mission. We did not know each other, though he dated a girl in the same building I lived in.
He had graduated from Las Vegas High in 1949 and entered BYU and was active in the Brigadier Social Unit. He enjoyed the social part of college very much and his social unit won the winning float in the Homecoming Parade and Richard was in the Brigadier singing group in the 1950 Songfest. Richard's Dad died when Ruchard was only 11 and it is very obvious from his letters that money was a real problem in Richard's life. He finally left college in 1951 and joined the Navy and then came back to college in January 1954 under the G I Bill and then left for his mission to San Antonio, Texas in June 1955.
Evidently at that time they went directly to the mission field and so he had to learn to speak Spanish while on his mission and not before. I am just going to write a few things that gave me a smile or a laugh from his letters from Texas. Nothing serious today, just some laughs.
"Chuck, Eleanor, Marion, Aunt Winona, Uncle Will and Aunt Lois came down to see me off from the SL airport. They gave me some cash ($6.00) and a nice lunch." ($6.00 went a long way in 1955) "Well, things are pretty dull around here and I feel like a prisoner. I can't go anywhere or do anything. All I am supposed to do is study, 6 AM to 10:30 PM, all I can do is read and eat." (From the mission home in San Antonio)

"I'm picking up a few Spanish words and I've memorized a blessing on the food. I also lead the singing in Spanish and I don't even know what they are singing." "I went to the branch meeting on Sunday and I didn't understand one word that was said."



"We have just finished a three day missionary conference. It was very expiring (yes, that is what he said). I sat in one meeting eight hours--the longest time I have been in one meeting. I don't think I'll worry about two hour sacrament meetings again."

"Since I have been here (in the mission home) the number of people eating here has varied from eight to ninety-three!"

"The people are all grateful to us, some are grateful when we come to see them and some are grateful when we don't come." (from Houston, Texas 1 1/2 months into his mission)
"How's my car holding up? The District Presidents have so much responsibility and get so many calls to settle family arguments, I've decided it would be better riding my bicycle than being a D.P. with a car. You better keep the car around in case I ever get a chance to use it some place though."

"I bought a bicycle from the missionary that I replaced for $25.00. I will probably be able to sell it to the next one here for about the same amount." (from Laredo, Texas)
"Too bad you upset yourself by opening my mail, but really, I can't think of a better time to have my license suspended. Believe it or not it was a surprise, and if you didn't tell them I was habitually negligent in my driving practices, I can't imagine how they found out. I was keeping it a secret from everyone but you."

"My Spanish is coming along slowly, I can talk quite a little, but I can't understand a word the people say. When I give a lesson, I have to have my companion interpret for me."
"A lot of the people around here think we are the police (detectives) and when we go to the doors where teen age boys live, sometimes their mother will tell us they are not there before we have a chance to state our business."

"My pocket watch is holding up fine, but I am getting so I don't like to carry anything in my pockets. It bulges them and collects the perspiration, until before long I feel like I am wearing a wet sack."
"It sure is hard to keep in the mood to have people slam doors in your face."

"When one of the sons of our investigator went to school last week, the teacher asked him what religion he was and he told her Methodist and Mormon. After class a bunch of the Catholic boys beat the scrud out of him for saying he was a Mormon."

"We have been helping an old woman fix up her house this week so I've had to learn a little of what I tried hard not to learn at home."
"That leaking seal couldn't have been the one that screws up tight on the drive shaft could it? You are supposed to look under the car once in awhile and tighten a few of those things. By the way, the Chevrolet is one of those new-fangled kind that has to have the oil changed now and then. Don't get me wrong, it is your car now, but I hate to see the poor thing blamed for everything. If it was worth only $50, it would still be the best car in the world". (To his brother Scott, who bought the Chevrolet he left home)
Anyway, children and grandchildren, just a little mission and 50's humor from your Dad and granddad, courtesy of a loving mother who saved all his letters. Happy Birthday, Richard, we love and miss you.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far