Thursday, August 06, 2009

The Perfect Cookie

Cookies are a really good thing in this life. As a child I had lots of cookies. My Mom was a great cookie maker. It was always fun to come home from school and find fresh baked cookies. One of my favorites was a raisin filled cookie. She would roll the dough out and cut large circles with a glass and then put a scrumptious raisin filling on one circle and top with another and then bake. They were wonderful. I probably only made them once in my life--too time consuming. My children got raisin oatmeal drop cookies which were flattened with a glass covered in sugar, but still a great cookie.
But about 20 years ago or whenever Deer Valley Ski Resort opened I was there with my husband. We didn't always ski there as you had to make a reservation and it was very expensive. However, they had the best food buffet of any of the ski resorts and my husband loved to eat lunch there--just he and I, while everyone else was skiing.
It was there I discovered the large sugar cookie with soft raisins in it. I loved it. Reminiscent of childhood--maybe. But I started a crusade to figure out the recipe for that cookie. And I finally did. Kids of today would prefer chocolate chips in it but I love the raisins. I seldom make cookies anymore. I have no one to feed them, too. And besides even the children of today don't eat the goodies the way we did when we were young and running all the calories off instead of sitting at computers.
Anyway Tuesday I made a batch of that perfect raisin cookie and I have so enjoyed sitting down and dunking my cookie in milk (soy milk, but still good). There is something about the texture of a well made cookie with just the perfect crunch and chew that is very, very satisfying. It can keep you happy for a long, long time. Not every cookie has it and we all discover our favorite. I had my favorite packaged cookies, too, but I never buy them now. Too dangerous. I would eat the whole package in one sitting! So here's to the cookie, long may it live and may the search never end for the perfect cookie.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far