Thursday, September 03, 2009

Bandido is half Lahasa Apso so I took this test.
Who is in charge? Quiz for Apso Owners
1. Does your dog fail to get up and out of your way when you are on a collision course with him? yes
2. Does your dog try to go through the door first - ahead of you? yes
3. Does your dog resist giving up objects when you try to take them? yes
4. Does your dog pull you when he is on a leash? Sometimes
5. Does your dog ever growl at you?
6. Does your dog resist grooming or nail cutting? yes
7. Does your dog sleep in your bed? yes
8. Does your dog ignore you when you ask him to come? yes, tries to
9. Does your dog guard food dish or toys against you.
10. Does your dog snap at treats or try to take them away from you? yes
If you answered yes to more than three of these, you are not in charge, HE IS. You have to get control before you have a real problem on your hands. (Too late, he is 13 years old.) Dogs, especially Apsos respond to a power vacuum by asserting their own dominance. If you fail to teach the dog his place in society, he will assume control and teach you yours. (My neighbor told me this when I first moved here, because Bandido did not mind me.)
OK, I admit, Bandido runs this house.
But I will say this, he is very protective of me and follows me from room to room, even getting up in the middle of the night and dragging his tail to wherever I may be, computer room, kitchen, couch, etc. When I bathe, he sits as close to the tub as he can and when I am out of sight, he finds me.
Overall, I would say he is a great companion dog with an independent spirit. Goes well with mine.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far