Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Reading the Classics

Yesterday I started on another one of the Classics. That is on my list of 25 Things To Do Before I Die, to read all the Classics. I carry in my car a notebook with lists of booktitles. One Meagan sent me which was a College Bound Reading List. One is The 400 Best Books Ever Written by Melissa Field and one is Read The Classics from Target.com and one is Explore Banned Books from Google (many of which have been made in to movies and most adults have read). So I have a lot of books to choose from when I go to the library and believe it or not I have read a good many of them. (I check them off also, so I don't read them twice, otherwise I would never know).

Yesterday I found a new edition of "The Count of Monte Cristo" and am thoroughly enjoying it. Only 1400 pages to go. Yes, I have seen the movie but as all readers know, that is not the same and I hate it when CD books are abridged. I won't listen to an abridged book. If I just want the story I can read that on the internet, if it is worth listening to or reading it is worth hearing it all, I think.
At the back of the book I was impressed to read about the Modern Library Editorial Board with impressive authors on the list. Evidently the Modern Library has been "providing readers with affordable hardbound editions of important works of literature and thought" since 1917. This book was just reprinted in 1996 so it is very nice and easy to read. Thanks to all the people out there who provide us with good books to read and libraries in every town.
Incidentally I have never read a 'Classic' I didn't like and that surprised me, though it shouldn't or why would it be called a classic...

1 comment:

craig said...

What a great goal! I as well have decided that I need to read the classics...I know some of them from high school, but I don't think I ever read any of them from cover to cover. I just printed out the banned books list. Thank you!

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far