Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bummer Week

All week I have been congested and tired--it is from allergies this time of year.  I am out of my allergy meds.  Besides that I have been having gluten attacks all week so staying close to home.   I found some good things to read and finished organizing my office but other than that I have been down, way down. 

Although my sister sent me a very nice surprise, which lifted my spirits yesterday.

Lucky me, though, in cleaning out my office I found an Allergy Self-Care Kit from Kaiser  Permanente.  It must be several years old but after reading it I took one of the decongestants and voila!!!  it works.  My head feels so much better.  Oh, oh, I just read you should not take it if you are taking high  blood pressure medicine, wonder what will happen.  It is Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride.  I better look it up and see what can happen--oh, oh, looks like I will have a problem sleeping also and here it is 10:39 PM.

Guess I will get some reading done tonight.

Pseudoephedrine acts on alpha-adrenergic receptors in the mucosa of the respiratory tract, producing vasoconstriction. The medication shrinks swollen nasal mucous membranes; reduces tissue hyperemia, edema, and nasal congestion; and increases nasal airway patency. Also, drainage of sinus secretions may be increased and obstructed eustachian ostia may be opened.

Wow, just what I need--I also found out the common names this is sold under are Triaminic, Diamtapp and Sudafed.  Good ole Sudafed, that is the allergy medicine my pediatrician liked for the children.   Looks like I may have a good next week, there are 12 days of pills left, enough to get me through October!  Yea!

Isn't it wonderful to have instant knowledge at our fingertips.  I wonder what happened to all the manufacturers of encyclopedias and medical books?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far