Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To Exercise and Great Coaches

In cleaning out my desk today I found a card called "Find Your Perfect Size" for shopping at Chicos.  I thought it was interesting that the three categories they used of  Bust, Waist, and Hips were all matched in different sizes for me.  So should I buy something to match the Bust size?  the Waist size? or the Hip size?  As I thought about it, it was easy.  Bust size for a blouse.  Waist size for a non-elastic waist skirt and hip size for pants.  Luckily, I am not shopping for anything right now so it is not a problem.  But it is interesting how our bodies change. 

When I was in high school, we had read that the perfect size was a bust and hips that were 10 inches larger than the waist size.  Fortunately or unfortunately my waist size was 12 to 13 inches smaller than my bust and hips thus the waist band of a skirt was always too large.  Mostly we wore sweaters over our skirts so this was not too much of a problem.

But the question intrigues me.  What was I doing then that created a tiny waist and what am I doing now that creates a large waist?  Not too hard to guess.  We walked everywhere and exercised a lot.  Now I, well you know--just the opposite...

My sister called last night and asked if I remembered Rex Welton--he had just died at 96.  Of course, I remembered him.  He was our gym teacher when I was in junior high and he was the one who started us on the push ups and sit ups and all that exercise we felt we needed to do.  He was loved by all the students and evidently was a great coach and teacher wherever he was.  Here's to the great mentors and teachers of the world, they are the real molders of society.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far