Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Smile as Big as the Moon

This recent show by Hallmark was so touching.  It is the story of a teacher of a Special Ed group who gets permission and money to take them to Space Camp and spends seven months preparing them to be able to handle it.  Up until that time only advanced students were expected to handle the technical difficulty of it.  I really admire teachers who can inspire and lead.   This was a true story and quite remarkable.

It was also very touching and the acting of the students was superb.  It reminded me of one of the few Special Ed students I had in second grade.  At that time they did not separate them in Montana.  He called me "Sandra" because that is what he got out of Miss Anderson.   He was the one who dumped water on the new wooden floor to help me clean.  The janior was not happy.

Then there was the little boy I had in kindergarten who told incoherent stories with his colored scraps of paper on the flannel board juist as he saw the other children do.  To the children's credit, they took my lead, and patiently listened to him and clapped for his performance.

Both of those little boys were extremely affectionate and sweet.  They were not yet old enough to be treated cruelly by the other students or understand how different they were.  They were just full of love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just happened apon your blog.
These lines hit close to home.

"They were not yet old enough to be treated cruelly by the other students or understand how different they were. They were just full of love."

My 12 year old autistic son has recently become aware that he is not like the other kids.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far