Monday, January 30, 2012

Time Flies

So over a week has passed and I have not written in my blog.  What's up?  One thing bad I did is to reorganize my pictures and now several pictures in my blogs are in a different location on my computer and I have to go back and retrieve them so they will show in my blogs again.  Why do I always forget that that will happen????   I did get a lot more pictures scanned though.  With my printer I bought this last year, scanning is very easy...

I did turn 79 and had several reports that I look great for my age--that is very uplifting but, of course, I know I could look better if I would change a few bad habits and employ a few new ones.  Nuff said. 

But I did have a great birthday this year.   Lots of calls and gifts.  On Sunday I stayed home because of a lot of congestion, later in the week I ventured to the Doctor and found I really do have a sinus infection and antibiotics do work!!!  Who knew.  Jean and Ron stopped by after church and brought me beautiful purple tulips from Maryanne.  I hope I can make them grow in one of my pots next year.

Mike made a cheesecake for my birthday and we had the same problem as before with leakage from even a different pan in the oven.  We MUST buy a new cheesecake pan!!!

I made a gluten free pizza crust and Mike took it to work at Buffalo Chips and brought me home a gourmet pizza with Stuffed Mushroom and one side and Jalapenos on the other.  That lasted me for three days.  Excellent!!!

I also made a gluten free sponge cake which was perfect with lemon frosting.

Besides going to the Dr this week I also have watched several British miniseries.  I love them! 
Finished "The Grand" about hotel life at the turn of the century.  Excellent!  "Bleak House" by Charles Dickens which was also great.  And a real winner in only three episodes "The Politician's Wife"  What a study in revenge, loved it.  I also finished listening to the Nicolas Sparks book "The Best of Me".

I read the reviews on "The Best of Me" and many people had complaints about it being too cliche but I loved it.  So many situations I could relate to the characters and/or the moments and I cried and cried.  He is the ultimate romantic writer and I like that he leaves a lot to the imagination and I am ok with his delving into paranormal, I believe in that.  Anyway it was a very poignant, sad, and moving book, I thought.

Finally, I have another new gluten free pancake recipe.  Maria gave me this book that is over 10 years old but it has the best recipes all made with cornstarch and potato starch so they are a few more calories, I suppose, but light as air and delicious!!!

And yes, I experimented again, and yummy fresh white bread and licorice cause me tremendous stomach upset so I must stick with my gluten free diet and licorice is not gluten free, for sure.  If only I had known that when I was living at the Marriott in 2008...

Lastly, it has been fun to watch Bruce enjoy the snow.  He likes to plow through it and make tunnels, roll in it, eat it and just sit in it.  He likes me to take him walking so he can run as fast as he wants up one bank and down another (I let him fly with the leash tagging after him) but he always come back eventually.  I can only hope he doesn't get picked up by the Security Guard before Matt comes to get him.  He was meant to roam free, but he does condescend to let me walk him on the leash from time to time and he is very careful to not go too fast as we go down the steps together.  He is a very smart dog.  Bandido could care less but he does still run from time to time.  Most of the time, though, he just eats and sleeps.  He is getting very rolley polley as he likes to eat his food and then walk over to Bruce's and eat his food as well.  It will be good for Bandido when Bruce finally leaves.  Maybe then I can clean all the lose hair and footprints off the floor, too.  Dogs are messy in the winter...and summer...and fall...and spring.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far