Monday, August 18, 2008

Happy Birthday, John

August 18th, the anniversary of John's birth. Richard and I were living in a small apartment in Pacific Beach when John was born. We were very happy. Here is an excerpt from my journal written in December 1960:
John Eric is waking. I'll leave him till he cries for me, he seems to enjoy his crib and looking at the bunnies--probably even babies enjoy a little privacy. He's 3 1/2 months old now and so very alert and active. He weighs around 14 lbs. and is 25" long-- a husky fellow who laughs and smiles for everyone. Most people think he is older and I do believe he was about 3 weeks past due when he was born. He was due July 27th and not born till August 18th. Even then I had uteri inertia and they had to take him caesarean. The doctor says I should have only two more babies and have them two years apart. I'm not sure how much confidence I have in Dr. Shephard though, even if he is a Mormon. I may change next time. Baby John wants me now, he doesn't cry much, just fusses to tell you things. He always lets me know when he's messed his pants so guess he'll be a particular boy about his clothes!! Funny fellow, he's almost back to sleep again--he sleeps much more lately it seems. Yesterday he had his casts removed that he had worn for 3 weeks to tighten his heel cord. It was not serious and looks much better. We received our processed roll of film back. I'm so anxious to see our first movies--hope we really keep a good movie record of our children.
December 7, 1960 Poor John is feverish and unhappy today. He had his second polio shot yesterday and it has affected him. I've been getting a few things ready for Christmas--I'm so anxious to get a tree up, the wrapped packages look so pretty. Saturday we bought our projector and screen. We've shown our Thanksgiving film over and over. I never tire of looking at baby John, I believe he is such a sweetie. I never dreamed I could have such a darling, lovable baby.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Thanks for sharing, I have been thinking of you both today (and meagan), I hope you had a good day. Love you!

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far