Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Do I Look Smarter?

All hooked up and ready to go to surgery.
Seven hours later--still smiling.  More blood to the brain.  Am I smarter?  Look more tired but I actually felt great.
All night long they tested me for stroke.  One of the tests is a smile--can't be crooked, Stick out the tongue--must be straight, etc.  There are a lot of other tests and the nurse takes them periodically all night long.  Good thing I was watching TCM.  We (my bed partner) each had a separate head nurse and the same assistant.  We could ask for anything we wanted.  My partner asked for a Margarita, she settled for Ginger ale with a Tuna Sandwich at 3 A M.  She kept telling him she wanted to stay for a few more days.  It is fun to be catered to once in awhile.

When the Dr came in the next morning he told us why the surgery took so long (3 1/2 hrs) my artery was twisted and he had difficulty untwisting and cleaning and reattaching.  Lucky I had been referred to him.  He evidently is an expert.  One nurse said he was the best.  And he did not do the newer stent surgery from the groin which could have been a problem with a twisted artery I am thinking.  It was 80-90% narrowed (more than they thought) so I should have more energy and be more alert with more blood flow to my brain.  Yea! Rosie, my last nurse, reminded me again and again how fortunate it was Dr. Natali caught it with his little stethoscope and that I ended up with Dr. Hemp as my surgeon.  Feeling very blessed.

Oh, yes, view from the 11th floor with a full moon and colored lights of  Hillcrest was quite lovely.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far