Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Matter of the Heart

This is written for me, because out of sight is out of mind and I must remember everything they told me.

After a month of tests I met with the PA of my cardioligist and my thoracic surgeon.  Good news is that the plaque in my heart and limbs is about what would be expected of a 77 year old woman--not too bad.  Bad news is my right carotid artery is even worse than the doppler test showed so I will have surgery on May 3.  It will take an overnight stay and a revisit on the 18th which means I can't go home till May19!!!  I also need to start taking a statin drug and they want me to monitor my blood pressure and if it is still high after I get back to my normal home environment I will have to treat that as well.  I think a lot of my problem has been that since I have had this metatarsal problem I have not been exercising as normal.  Hopefully I can change that now with my orthotic and great walking shoes.  Must start walking and work through the leg pain.

Actually my cholesterol is better than it was for years but the damage has been done and they feel it is a genetic problem so it must be treated.  The high HDL is not enough anymore to avoid the drugs, so they say.  They want to check in two months to see if the medication has helped.

It was also reaffirmed I have thoracic outlet syndrome which I was told back in the 70's.  The Dr thought of trying to help it with a stent in my right shoulder but decided against it so I will just go back to what I have not been doing.  Mainly not sleeping on my stomach with hands raised, not doing things like painting that raise my arms above my shoulder and I also found out, stay away from weight lifting or any heavy lifting. 

PA also reaffirmed that sugar is not my problem but if I want to lose weight just gradually cut down (she said not to stop totally as that just increases the craving).  I have already cut out totally or partly dairy, gluten, and red meat which cuts out a lot of fat.  My sleep problems are all stress related.  Hopefully when I get back home my depression and stress will be eliminated???  Maybe I will have to stop watching the news as well?

So prescription for a healthy life--
   Carotid surgery on right side (hope for no complications)
   Statin drug every day (check results in 60 days)
   Continue 81 mg aspirin each day
   Exercise, especially walking (if leg pain increases, call)
   Keep up the healthy diet, cut down on sweet snacks (keep avoiding fats)
   Avoid raising arm and weight lifting activities and no heavy lifting.

Oh, yes, smile and be happy.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far