Thursday, April 08, 2010

My Sister Marilyn

I am sorry to say I missed my sister's birthday this week.  Marilyn is the one in yellow on the right.  Her birthday is April 5th but because that date now has another significance (John's  death) I tend to forget about it.

Marilyn is two years older than me and we are quite different.  For one thing she was always the classy dresser.  No matter what, whatever her circumstance, she always has stylish clothes to wear.  I tried to borrow her clothes when we were in high school and college but because we are built so differently I always looked silly in her clothes.  She is athletically built with long slim legs and I, well, you know how I am built.

Marilyn and Dave are the talkers in the family.  In most any group family situation they are the ones that will be doing most of the talking along with Mary, Dick's wife.

Marilyn is the golfer amongst us girls.  I took it in college and tried a little before marriage but it just never 'got' me like it did my Mom, Dad, Dave and Marilyn.

Marilyn has also been a director in church music and choirs most of her life.  We both took the class in college--it clicked with her, not me.

Marilyn also is the friendly one--on any trips or gatherings, she is the one making all the friends and talking to all the people.  She has always had lots of friends.

Marilyn was also the terrific sales lady at the store.  I would always work in the office, as the cashier and bill payer and avoid the floor where I had to talk to people and try to sell them dresses.  One time when I visited her in Golden and she was clerking at a ladies store I came home with a marvelous wardrobe.  She has a knack for finding what looks good on you.

Marilyn is the only one besides me in my family who has lost a child.  And now she has had two daughters pass away.  She has handled it as she handles everything, very classy, humbled and accepting.  Marilyn is the only one of us girls working regularly in a Temple right now.  She is a born leader and good at directing others.

I have been very fortunate to have three sisters and best friends in my life.  Each of us is very unique and different from each other with very different talents and attributes but we always enjoy talking, sharing and spending time together.  As a family growing up we had a very peaceful home with no jealousy or animosity as far as I could tell.  Family is good and sisters are wonderful.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far