Thursday, April 08, 2010

Fish Tacos and Other Yummy Things


When I am in San Diego and out shopping or running errands and it is lunch time I look for a fish taco place.  My favorite place was always on the corner
of Genesee and ? right next to Mervyns (which is gone now).  The last time I was there it was still good even though the place has been remodeled and possibly changed hands.

When at Linda's and using the wonderful El Cajon library  I liked the Rubios on the way home from the library but two days ago I had a fish taco at Rubios at the Grossmont Center and it didn't hold a candle to the fish taco I had at El Rey? (not sure of the name) at the first little mini shops as you come into Pacific Beach on Balboa/Garnet on the right side. 

And yesterday I had another wonderful fish taco at the New Selections Restaurant in Macy's Women on El Camino Real in Carlsbad.  They even had red cabbage and lots of crisp tomatoes plus a pink sauce instead of the traditional white sauce.  Excellent.

 I was disappointed at the fish taco at Wahoo in the Ralph's shopping center off Camino Del Norte and Dove Canyon--too dry.  But the fish tacos I had at Croces downtown were excellent also.  They even had pineapple mixed in with the cabbage and salsa.   And a lot piled on, almost like a salad.

There is another little hole in the wall place as you are leaving North County Fair and headed back up to the Dios highway.  It has all those adobe orangy buildings on the right and a little taco shop that had an incredible fish taco, too and very cheap. 

I read a couple recipes for the white sauce--both called for equal portions of plain yogurt and mayonaisse with lime juice but one added chipotle sauce and the other had various spices.  Also one had the fish fried in a beer batter rather than a plain flour batter.  Maybe someday when I am home and away from fish taco country I will try to learn to make them but here I will just keep trying to find the best or run in for the Flautas appetizer with jalapeno sauce at Chili's Mex at Flower Hill or the Fuji Apple Chicken salad at Paneros Bread.  No In and Out burgers or Jack in the Box tacos for me while in San Diego--too many other good options down here.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far