Sunday, January 24, 2010

More Birthday

I adopted this chic pix taken on my birthday as my official birthday picture.  It was taken after granddaughter Kelsi brought me the birthday glasses and before I had taken my curlers
 out.  I think it is so appropriate at this stage and age of life (77)--Looking at life through rose colored glasses and yet never being quite ready for whatever comes.

 I still haven't had my little cancerous spot removed from my nose.  It was so stormy this Thrusday it was postponed till next Thursday.  Now I read the storm coming may be worse this week--of bibilical proportions, whatever that means.

This is Kelsi, looking at her strange grandma.

On my real birthday, my son James and I had lunch at the Olive Garden.  It was delicious as always and we topped it off with a wonderful lemon cake.  In the evening Melissa and I went to the movie "The Book of Eli".  I keep wondering who wanted to push the importance of the Holy Bible so much that they would do it by enticing people in with the promise of violence (of which there was a lot).  Whoever wrote the script has not really studied the bible well enough to glean all of the truth of prophecy but it was a message worth getting.  The message is that we are putting too much value in the material things in life and not realizing what is most important.  At least that is what I got out of it.  The message was good but it was a strange, dark movie and I am not recommending it.

Saturday I picked up my new glasses at Costco and yea, the world is a little clearer and I can read without squinting so much.  Maria and I also saw "To Save A Life" which I would definitely recommend.  The theme was suggested by a Christian Church in Oceanside and the filming was done with non-Hollywood type actors.  The theme is teen suicides.  It was extremely well done, very entertaining and believable and the message was loud and clear.  We need to love and care about everyone and show it.  We get so busy with out own little lives we just don't see those around us.  Even if we think we are good Christians we are not doing what Jesus would do.  We are not being inclusive and we are not serving others.

Which reminds me of the darling child joke that Carole told me once and I have never forgotten.
"The teacher was telling all the children that they were here to serve others.  And one child raised his hand and asked, "What are the others here for?"  I love it.

Oh, yes, I missed two days of power outtages this past week at home and 4 feet of snow--way to go, Janet!  This has been some birthday, I never had so many birthday greetings.  Our lives are so different with cell phones, emails and facebook, it seems like we have so many more friends, but I wonder, do we really???  Something to think about.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far