Monday, January 04, 2010

The Good Life

The nice thing about being away from my home and yard (though I miss them) is that I have more time to read non-stop.  I just finished  "Dancing Water" by Gail Tsukiyama  which Marilyn gave me for Christmas and I will read more of her books.  I am always happy when I find an author I really enjoy.  "Dancing Water" was about a child who had Werner's Disease in which the person ages prematurely and eventually dies at a young age.  It was sad and the whole book only encompasses two days but goes back and plays out their whole life.  Very moving and enriching to read. 

Now I am reading an exciting mystery which I can't put down even though it is about a murder over 30 years before.  I have read over half the book in one day and it is almost 600 pages long.  It is "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson.  I will definitely read more of his books as well.  The book takes place in Sweden and it is fun to know about the places in the book having just traveled to Sweden this last summer.

My eyes get so tired though, I know I need better glasses.  I went to Costco today to see when I had bought these reading glasses and it was four years ago!!!  I can't believe that much time as gone by but I will definitely get my eyes tested and get new glasses.  It will be even more fun to read!

When I saw "Avatar" (which I really enjoyed) I saw that "Dear John" is coming to the screen in January.  It was one of my most favorite Nicholas Sparks' books.  Yea!

Oh, yes, and Nancy Meyers has another hit "It's Complicated!"--sooo funny.  You really appreciate her movies when you watch another so-so movie and see how uncoordinated and slow moving some of them are...

The movies cost way too much down here though--you can buy the whole book for the price of the movie!  And popcorn, wow, that is a whole other issue--movies and popcorn used to be a cheap date which Richard and I had every Friday--not cheap anymore.

Today I also enjoyed listening to the cd my sister Jeanne sent me for Christmas--Susan Boyle.  I knew her singing was good but it is even more pleasurable than I remembered, so good.  Poor Jeanne is in the hospital with pneumonia, we are all praying for her speedy recovery. 

My niece Stephi and her family were here this weekend and I hoped to see them but did not.  I don't drive out at night much anymore and being way out here in El Cajon I couldn't think where to meet them.   I have been gone from San Diego for over 10 years and hardly know where all the favorite eating places are anymore.  However, the sun came out today and they should have a lovely cruise down the coast...Meagan and I really enjoyed our cruise last March.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as memory becomes less expensive, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.insanejournal.com/397.html]R4 Card[/url] DS QDos)

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far