Friday, May 28, 2010

Good Ole' Betty Crocker

My first cookbook was by Betty Crocker but the cookbook I used most was Mom's Dorcas Cookbook from the Congregational Church.  From this came the famous Spanish Rice which we cooked over and over when we were first married.  I came upon it recently and decided I must try it again.  It is a time to live cheap!

6 slices of bacon, chopped
1/4 c finely chopped onion
1/4 c chopped green pepper
2 c canned tomatoes
3 c cooked rice (l c uncooked)
1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper

Fry bacon until crisp; remove and add onion and green pepper; cook slowly until onion is soft and yellow.  Add remaining ingredients and bacon.  Bake in greased casserole in moderate oven (350) about 30 minutes.  if desired, 1/4 c grated cheese may be sprinkled over top before baking.  Serves 8

But back to Betty Crocker and not living cheap.  I tried her Gluten Free Chocolate Cake and it is so moist and delicious!  It also makes 14 nice size pieces to freeze for dessert (with homemade Fudge frosting on it, of course).  So far Betty Crocker gets A+ for her Gluten Free Desserts.  The only one I have not tried yet is the Brownies.  Maybe next week.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far