Sunday, October 24, 2010

Just in Time, A Sauce for Pork Tenderloin, and Christmas Plans

Michael cleaned out the gutters just in time.  The rains came and came.  Saturday I went to the Temple with Mary Anne and there was even a little snow between here and Susanville, but mostly rain and though there was no rain in Reno it was very windy and cool.  They were planting bulbs on the Temple grounds.

When I came home Michael prepared some delicious Nachos, always a favorite of mine.  So today, though I wasn't feeling too perky I cooked the dinner.  It was easy, pork tenderloin, but for a little variety it was roasted with bacon strips on it and there was a tangy sauce--not sweet but very interesting.

Here's the recipe so I will try it again some day:

1/3 cup chopped onion cooked till tender in 1 T butter, Add 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce, 3 T of sweet pickle relish (or just sweet pickle), 2 T vinegar, 1 t sugar and 1 t dried parsley flakes (I didn't have any of those) and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.  Good!

Today we watched "Invictus" about Nelson Mandela and I kept telling Mike we needed some background information so I finally looked up in Wikepedia about his life.  What an amazing person--inprisoned for 27 years and still accomplished so very much in his life.  We are all indebted to such dedicated people, who are continually learning and trying to give others a better life. 

I also made some of the Family Hot Fudge Sauce and didn't have any light corn syrup but the dark corn syrup works just as well.  Always a good thing to know.

Again this week I stretched the butter by whipping about 3/4 cup of water into 1 cup of butter.  Just don't use it for cooking, it is for spread only.  And I keep it refrigerated.  Better to use a little butter than margarine any day.

And yesterday I did buy Jan Karon's new book "In the Company of Others".  It was hard to choose between that and Nicholas Sparks new book--oh well, it will soon come out in paper back.  So happy to have time in my life for reading.  That hasn't always been so.

Linda invited me to come and stay with them for awhile at Christmas.  So I think I will take my Bear Paw Quilt, sewing machine and finish it off at Linda's.  At least Jimmy and Camber won't have to put up with me for so long this next year!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far