Friday, November 11, 2011

A Long Night

Two nights ago I started listening to 'HEARTWOOD' the final published book of Belva Plain.  Since Belva Plain died in October of 2010 at 95 and the book was published in 2011 I wonder if she was really that old when she wrote it.  She didn't start writing novels till she was 59 and wrote them all long hand on yellow tablets, she did not own a computer.  She had about 20 best sellers and I have only read about two so still have much to choose from.  I did the download from my Plumas County Library to Go.  It was one available, so that is why I chose it.

Belva Plain's final novel, HEARTWOOD, is a moving story layered in psychological reflection, which has more depth than any simple drama or ordinary work of fiction.

Last night as I was listening to it I kept falling asleep and waking up and then would have to reset the chapter and listen to what I missed.

I almost quit at one time because it was more negative than I wanted but I am glad I kept listening because there actually was a romantic happy ending.  It presented the age old problem of being married to one man and in love with another. 

Belva Plain writes about families, many of them Jewish American as she was.  She leaves a lot to the imagination rather than having sexually explicit scenes. 

It was a long night but I did finish the book all in two nights.  I like to be read to...

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far