Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Beaches of My Life


I am enjoying my stay at Maria's and Johnny's and walking down to the Law St Beach every day.  While I was there this morning I thought about the different beaches in my life.

When I first came to San Diego we stayed at the Ocean Beach Hotel and  spent a lot of time at Ocean Beach.   Before I was married and after I had become acquainted with a group we would spend our Saturdays and a lot of the summer on Ocean Beach and Mission Beach, the beach just north of it.  We always thought the sand was whiter.  When I was sailing it was mostly in Mission Bay.

After I was married we were in Pacific Beach about 10 years and enjoyed the beaches there.  Law Street beach is just one of them. Richard and I lived not too far from here.
 
When my children were in elementary and high school we were in La Jolla and used those beaches  which are just north of Pacific Beach.   This included the La Jolla Shores and Torrey Pines Beaches (which is where Maria and Johnny like to hike above).  It also includes the famous nude beach, Black Beach.  The boys surfed nearby.

After Richard died I was living in Pacific Beach again for awhile and my friend Nadine and I would bicycle along both the Mission Bay walks and the Pacific Beach boardwalk. 

When I was working in Guam I would walk along the beach  behind all the hotels, there was beautiful views of the sunset and lots to see on the way.  Loved it.

And then when I was in Galveston, I enjoyed walking the beaches just across from our hotel.  The water was very warm but very dirty, lots of fishing.  And since it was winter, there was often a breeze and cool.  We had to wear jackets.

Yesterday I tried to sit on the beach for a couple hours but I had forgotten a chair and it was very hard for this old body to be comfortable in any position.   I guess I will just stick to walking the beaches.  In the early morning it is mostly the surfers and a few older people, very quiet and very nice.  Everyone is friendly and says Good morning or Hi, even the young surfers.

I do love walking on the beaches, they have been a big part of my life.  I especially loved the parties and bonfires for roasting hot dogs and marshmallows.  The beach life is a good life.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far