Saturday, June 02, 2012

'Yesterday was just awful!"

Those words are from the musical "Annie"of course, but describe a good part of the day.  This was the longest trip to San Diego ever!!

The plan was to leave my house at 4 (we left at 4:45) and drop Mitch off at Melissa's and go on with Melissa and Bruce.  So far, so good.  However. during the almost 100 degree weather down south. things went wrong.  My sunglasses were so weak that when I drove the bright light really hurt my eyes.  Melissa had to take over driving.  Then she wasn't feeling well so we stopped for some ibuprofen and I would take over again driving with two sets of sunglasses on me. 

Unfortunately, previous to this the temperature on the car starting rising and we had to turn off the air conditioner.  Wtih Melissa not feeling well and me with my tired eyes and body and Bruce panting in the back this was not good.

We started off again up the Grapevine with no air conditioner and me driving and half way we had to pull over and rest the car again and Bruce.   I have always hated the Grapevine whether it is winter or summer but I especially hated it today when we felt so vulnerable.  I just wanted to be scooped up and delivered to the top--didn't happen.

We had figured we would arrive between 4 and 5 if all went well.  Unfortunately we had now hit Los Angeles too late on a Friday afternoon and we spend a few too many hours in the traffic.  This is when I remembered how wonderful it was I lived in Lake Almanor and I only had to put up with this stuff once or year or so.  I made my pledge to stay home forever--but of course, with all my doctors down here but Dr. Marc, that will be impossible.

I predicted we would get there at 8--Maria met us at Mission Bay and took Melissa and Bruce and I headed to Linda's and did arrive there in the daylight, which was my main aim from the beginning, and just a few minutes after 8.

Thank heaven Melissa was such a trooper and drove most of the way.  The Valko children have become my chauffeurs it seems.  Still I really enjoyed the conversations with Mitch and Melissa.  Get to know your grandchildren, drive a ways with them.

Staying in Linda's upper room with lots of windows and a comfy bed is like staying in a grand hotel.  I ate some of Gary's good chicken and watermelon, showered off the freeway dirt and slept until after 9 am.  Best sleep I have had in a long time.

Oh, Yes, I vow to really clean my house and simplify some more when I get home.  Linda's house looks great!!!

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far