Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Good San Diego Day!

I started the day by checking in at the Cardiology Dept at Scripps Mercy Hospital.  Of course, I totally missed the main entrance and went in the Dr's entrance.  I don't know how I miss the obvious sometimes.  Anyway the gatekeeper gave me an exasperated look and a few wirds as she gave me a parking tab to have validated.

Talk about efficiency, they already had a chart on me and all I had to do was sign.  The operator of the ultrasound was not supposed to say anything but she led me to believe "there was something going on in my arteries but she didn't think it would require surgery at this time".  I surely hope she is right.  What if my doctor says I need it, then what, another opinion?  She said she was sending the records to Dr. Marc also.  I am thinking positive and will know on Wednesday.

I then had two hours before my appointment with Dr. Barbara, my dermatologist and skin surgeon.  Her office is one block from one of my favorite fish taco places.  So Fish Taco and Flan for lunch.  Perfect!!   My favorite Nails by Ann is next door to the medical building so I walked in to see if there was time for a pedicure.  Ann said, "Hi Janet."  Nice to be remembered and I had my first pedicure in almost a year.  It felt so good and I feel like a lady again.

When Dr. Barbara did her inspection of my body and read the biopsy she said yes, I needed to have the Mohl surgery but how long was I going to be here?  She wouldn't have a free time for weeks.  She was very happy to hear that one of her assistants had put a hold on 1 PM Thursday for me, assuming I would probably have to have surgery when I told her the location of the skin cancer.  Dr. Barbara was very impressed with the efficiency of her staff!  She had been on vacation at the time. She reminded me to bring a book on Thursday and be prepared to be there for the afternoon.

Maria and Melissa were just going to Goodwill down the hill in Pacific Beach and then the airport so I met them.  At Goodwill I found a book to take to the Drs and found one dress that Melissa liked.  She went home with a new wardrobe.  Amazing what nice things they have there.

After dropping Melissa off, we went back to Maria's and took Bruce for a walk along the boardwalk.  Very lovely but by the time we got back my legs were really aching and I already had a shoulder ache for some reason.  Maria gave me ibuprofen and put on a Netflix about old people dying in a hospice!!!  It was actually quite interesting but I hope that doesn't happen to me.  I just want to check out of this life very fast whenever the time is right.

After Johnny came home we drove by his Mom's inherited home in Birdwalk.  That was the area I had wanted to live when I first came to San Diego in 1956.  It is such a lovely place and Johnny is doing work on this home that has been in his family since the 1940s.  There is a lot of wood rot so it will be total reconstruction in some areas but how lovely when it is all done.

Maria and Johnny too me to Su Casa for dinner.  I chose the chili relleno and with the guacamole and chips it was a very delicious meal.  I love Mexican and can't get my fill when in San Diego.  I first went to Su Casa in the 50's and it is still the greatest!!!   I bored Maria and Johnny with stories from my past.  Nice to have someone to listen to me.  Oh, and my aches had  gone away! 

Mail had come from Carole and Marilyn and I spent the rest of the night typing up the stories they had sent about the death of my Dad and brother Dick.  They will go in the book I am finishing for the Cabin on my parents.  Lots more interesting things to read that they sent also.  I think I will record some of it here like poems and honors to my  Mom written by my brothers and sisters and me in the 80's.  Life is good!


John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far