Monday, November 06, 2017

David and Dorothy


Picture from years ago but they probably look much the same.  He is 90 and Dorothy is 89.

David called first thing this morning.  I usually check on them so he was wondering what was going on.  I told him I am going to stay at my son's home for the winter in Del Mar and there are just so many things to do before I leave,  but I kept thinking I should call them.  I had to explain where Del Mar was and I told him Marilyn and Carole are coming to visit for the New Year week while the Hardys are skiing in Park City.  I also told him about Carole's new job as a Foster Grandmother at the kindergarten of her grandchildren's school and that Jeanne is a "rock star" at the Treeo and that Marilyn still hasn't decided what to do about her house.

He said all was going so well.  He sounded really chipper, too.  The lady who mows the lawn and sits with Dorothy when he shops and has been their friend for so many years has now taken over helping Dorothy with her baths and that is working out really well.  Dorothy still has a bit of a problem walking but he told her compared to all her friends (they have all died) she is doing very well.  They have one friend who is 93 who comes over once a week to check in with them and another friend who brings pizza every Friday.  There is a helper friend who comes weekly to do anything that they need doing.  He never wants to take any money but David always gives him some.

David says they have plenty of money for traveling now but are very content to stay home.  He is very happy to be in their home with so many friends that are taking care of the snow shoveling and checking on them.  They have a new bishop whom he has not met yet.  The money ($200,000) that Dorothy earned by just investing it and forgetting about it will be spent for the college education for the children of Dorothy's nieces and nephews.  So that is nice.  He has helped a lot of the family on Dorothy's side for years.

He also caught me up on Lorin's children who are living in Idaho Falls.  They all appear to be doing very well.  In fact, everyone I know seems to be doing very well except for me.  I am the only pauper in the crowd.  Thank heaven for good credit, I manage to keep everything going, and with help from Linda and Jimmy, too.  I love being in my home but I am actually looking forward to being away during the cold and snow this year.  It will be fun to come back for summer, though

I have the new tires on the car after Mary Anne and I went to Costco on Thursday.  So glad she went with me, I hate driving that canyon.  The new oral surgeon will not be in until February now so I won't have to worry about money for that until I come back.

Today I called Waste Management, Digital and Dish...all have a vacation program so glad about that.

Dave's friend is 93, I think Dorothy and Dave can live for a long time.  Neither of them have any real health problems and they have a nice life.  He said they do not watch much tv.  He says in the morning Dorothy reads the newspapers for a long time and he does tasks outside and in and in the afternoon they nap.  And he is the chief cook although they were expecting their Meals on Wheels which they get 3 times a week.  He says it is fairly good and they often have enough for the next day, too.

Dave is not at all stressed as he was when Dorothy broke her leg and all the traveling, etc. that that took.  He says they have a new furnace and their home is very well built so I am glad it is working out so well for them to stay home.  He is very happy they are not having to drive to Arizona anymore.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far