Saturday, November 11, 2017

SCD Know How

 I found a new site that has a lot of new recipe ideas for the Special Carbohydrate Diet, it is called NoMoreCrohns.com and I like the way the author Erin describes what the diet is and why it works for chronic diarrhea.  After years of finding one thing and another that I should eliminate in my eating I found this book a few years ago and it really has all the answers.  I found I could eat quite a few more things after a while but after my bout with all the antibiotics I have had to start all over so am glad to find some new recipes.  Although I don't have a disease I really like all the work she has gone to come up with so many recipes.   Most all the ones I have tried in the  "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" are very good, too.   I made the beans and ham hock and have not tired of them yet, I freeze small portions and I have had no problems with my taco recipe and I eat a lot of tacos with the taco meat frozen in sandwich bags so I never run out.


"The Specific Carbohydrate Diet - in simple terms - was designed to starve out the intestinal bacteria that cause many kinds of pain and inflammatory bowel diseases. These "bad" bacteria happen to thrive on starches and sugars (long-chain carbohydrates). If the food for these critters is gone, then they won't be around to cause us pain.
"The SCD at its essence is a gluten-free, grain-free, lactose-free, and refined sugar-free diet. That doesn't mean that dairy and sweets are out of the picture! Although it sounds similar to a no-carb or low-carb diet, it is distinctly different; the goal with the SCD is to eliminate all long-chain carbohydrates. Short-chain carbohydrates that are allowable come from fruit, honey, homemade yogurt, nuts, and legal vegetables.


The specific foods allowed and not allowed are listed in complete detail in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall, which must be read to grasp the major ideas of the diet and specific foods allowed. However, to make the SCD more understandable to you, I'll list some of the foods you can eat while on the diet:



  • Meat (with no additives) such as chicken, beef, turkey, pork, and fish
  • Cheeses which have been aged long enough to eliminate lactose such as cheddar, parmesan, jack, swiss, and brie.
  • Fruit
  • Honey
  • Most vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, avocado, tomatoes, and many more
  • Lentils and Navy Beans (soaked overnight and water discarded before cooking)
  • Butter
  • Oils
  • Eggs
  • Homemade yogurt (incubated at least 24 hours)
  • Fruit juices such as Welch's 100% Grape Juice, Martinelli's 100% Apple Cider, and Orange Juice
  • Nuts (many recipes for baked goods are made with almond or pecan flour)
  • All natural Peanut Butter (such as Laura Scudder's with peanuts & salt)
Bacon (crisply fried, once a week)"

I notice there is a conference for SCD in October of 2018 in Massachusetts.  I hope some doctors get there.  They need to know this stuff.




No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far