Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The Big Black Birds

I think they are crows and they are definitely big, very big, I was telling the Stewarts about these dozen black birds that are resisting flying south (yes, I have been watching the birds fly south) we appear to be right under their path and I see lots of the flocks passing over at all different heights and anyway, these dozen black birds appear to be having a fun time together and are in no hurry to leave.

This morning I was surprised when I opened the drape and they were all in my back yard pecking away.  At what?  What could there possibly be on that rocky patio or that hard dirt ground with nothing but needles on it?  I wonder.  Surely there are no worms close to the surface when it is freezing outside?  What are they looking for?  They all flew away to the neighbors yard when I opened the drapes.

Sometimes they are swooping around in the trees above and sometimes they are walking all around the street and front yards.  What are they doing here together?  Except for the little birdies who built the nest and had the babies I have never seen such a close knit group of birds around here hanging together for such a long time.

Wish I could get their picture but at the slightest sound they fly, fly away.  How does that song go?  And what does that song really have to do with birds?  Now I can't get it out of my head.  Back from the Ella Fitzgerald days.

Bye Bye Blackbird
Pack up all my cares and woes
Feeling low here I go
Bye, bye blackbird
Where somebody waits for me
Sugar sweet so is she
Bye, bye blackbird
No one seems to love or understand me
And all the hard luck stories they keep handing me
Where somebody shines the light
I'll be coming on home tonight
Bye, bye blackbird
Bye bye blackbird
Bye bye blackbird
Nobody seems to love or understand me
And all

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far