Friday, October 09, 2009

Judy Garland

I just watched another biography of Judy Garland. This was a movie made from the book her daughter Lorna Luft wrote "Me and My Shadow". It was very well done.
She was one of my favorite movie stars and singers. Of course, she is the one that made "Over the Rainbow" (my favorite song) famous and was Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.
She also starred in "A Star Is Born" and I loved her singing in that. Wish I could have seen the full version before they butchered it. Still a great film though.
She started at MGM when she was 13 and even then they controlled her life with pills and too much work. She never really had a childhood. It is so sad the way the very talented are used and abused by those around them. Too often they end up without money, addicted to drugs and die at a young age.
I think she was only 48 when she died. It is amazing to me to see how someone so gifted can have so much doubt about their talent. And need so much love that they are crippled by their doubts and rely too much on other people. Sort of makes our doubts about ourselves seem very appropriate.
Watching films about these movie stars and singers that appear to have everything but a normal life makes you realize that not having any talents can be a blessing, too.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far