Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Scarlet Letter

I also watched an interesting version of 'The Scarlet Letter' by Nathaniel Hawthorne today. it was the silent version made in 1926 with the famous movie star of the silent screen, Lillian Gish. She is so petite and sweet looking, she reminded me of Sarah. I must say movies have come a loooong way in the past 83 years.
They had extreme difficulty telling a complex story such as this with no speaking words and just simple narration to read. The actors and actresses had to emote so much with their faces and body language.
Simple as it was it held me entranced as the fire went out and I didn't even notice. I remember reading that novel in high school and Hester Prynne became a heroine to me. I remember wondering how I would handle what she went through if it happened to me in 1950. I decided I could not be so noble or brave as she was...
I had remembered she wore the A for Adultress on her forehead instead of her chest. I wonder where I got that...

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far