Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Aunt Ellen's Scones

When I was a child and we visited Mom's sisters in Ogden, Utah, her sister Ellen always made scones for us.  They always tasted so yummy.


Also in a Larson Newsletter from 1982 I came across her recipe entitled:

GRANDMA ELLEN'S SCONE RECIPE

Dissolve 1 yeast cube in 1/4 cup warm water.

Mix 1 C milk, 2 T sugar, 1 t salt, 2 T shortening or oil and 1 beaten egg.  (I would imagine she scalded the milk and added the yeast when all was lukewarm)

Add 2 C flour.  Beat by hand with a wooden spoon to form firm dough.  Let rise.  Punch down and rise again.  Roll thin on floured board.  Cut into squares or strips.  Let rise 1/2 inch.  Cut dashes in the squares.  Deep fry in oil or shortening.  Brown on both sides.  Remove to dish covered with paper towel.  Serve with butter, jam or honey.
(We used sugar and butter as well.)

I have never used this method where we let the strips rise again.  Now I know her secret as to why they were so light and airy!

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far