Friday, September 03, 2010

More Books

This week I also read a Mary Higgins Clark mystery which I had actually read before.  She is known as the "Queen of Suspense" and I always enjoy her mystery books especially by cd or tape on a long trip.  She writes a lot of books with esp powers in them but it always seems very realistic.  I like her books but it is always a fast read for me as I like to solve the mystery as quickly as possible.  She always manages to have a little romance in them, too.

Also this week I read a Nora Roberts book called Tribute because the heroine's movie star grandmother was named Janet Hardy.  I was remembering why I gave up Nora Roberts books and why I am not interested in reading more.

Her books are too much like a Harlequin romance books, not realistic, plus the women all seem to swear a lot.  Since I do not know women who swear a lot, it does not particularly appeal to me.   In reading about her I find she is "America's Favorite Author" and she has written over 200 books since starting in 1981 when she was at home with two young sons.  At that time Harlequin romances were being written mostly by British women and she was rejected as an author.  However, Silhouette came out  with a desire to be like Harlequin only with American authors and Nora Roberts was an instant hit.  If you wonder how anyone can write that many books, it is because she is very disciplined and writes 8 hours a day.  Stephen King thinks she is 'cool'.

Sounds like she lives in a wonderful place, though.  I did love Maryland when I was there after Hurricane Isabel.

For a quick, fun read that is not too realistic but has beautiful women, handsome men, torrid romance, mystery,  murder and such you might like her.  I think I will go back to reading other favorite authors myself.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far