Sunday, September 12, 2010

More Reading...

I read another Francine Rivers book called "The Scarlet Thread".  It was the story of two families--one a modern day girl and her marriage and one of her great grandmother and her trek along the Oregon Trail.  Actually their problems were very similar.  Francine Rivers is a Christian writer and I like the way some of her characters talk to God.  It reminds me of myself and the way I think.  Very enjoyable book.

Then I tried the first book about Rabbit by John Updike.  I thought it was very depressing.  I am not sure I will read anymore of the Rabbit series.  He is a very detailed writer but I didn't care much for the mundane characters he was writing about.  Maybe I am not cultured enough.

I also read another James Patterson book "Swimsuit".  Too gruesome.  I don't think I will read anymore of his graphic serial killer books anymore either.  Happy endings and uplifted thoughts is much better for my psyche.

I found a Jan Karon book "Light to Heaven" which I had never finished on my shelf so I am happy about that.  I love her books and have read all of them but that one.  She writes these books about the town of Mitford and the pastor and all the people he deals with.  Very interesting and joyful to read.

I also read the life of President David O McKay as written by his oldest son.  What a loving and beloved person he was but as his son says, he would have been that way in whatever kind of life he lived, whether a farmer, businessman or prophet.  He was just a remarkably spiritual person who had a distinguised career in the service of the Lord and a deep devotion for his family.

The love affair he had all of his life with his wife was one that set an example for everyone.  He wrote her beautiful poetry all of his life.  I remember her speaking at BYU on how to raise peaceful children.  Like my mother, she never raised her voice.  And her advise for how to treat a husband and he how to treat a wife are legend.

He told his son that the rule by which he governed his life was: "I never make a decision without asking myself, 'How will I explain this to the Savior when I meet him?'  He also said, "Love is the greatest and purest power in life, and I am thankful that it rules our home and reigns supreme in our hearts."  And of course he was the one that said, “No other success can compensate for failure in the home.”


No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far