Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Glad I Wasn't Born in China

I have just finished "Dreams of Joy" by Lisa See written about China around 1958 when they had the great famine under Mao's Communist leadership.  Compelling book but I need to read a happy one for a change where women have a better life.  Seems everything I have read as late is about the sorry role of women.  And I can't get the image out of my mind of those dying babies being put in pits so they could not crawl away.

However, earlier in the book this is a quote I like:

"I put a smile on my face.  I came here to be happy, and I'm going to be happy.  If I smile, then maybe I can convince my body just how happy I am.  I look both ways, and decide to venture to the right.  I don't know where I'm going.  I just need to walk and keep smiling."

I think that was sort of how I felt the first day of college...

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far