Wednesday, March 28, 2012

From 1956



This is another old picture I found of my first year of teaching in San Diego.  I was teaching in South San Diego and had too many students and no control in the second grade I was teaching.  It was my second year as I had taught one year in Billings, Montana.  The big difference is I had only around 20 students in Montana and here I had from 38-40 most of the year.  It was very difficult and depressing. 

My friend Norma (on the end right, who later set me up with Richard) had us all do a three act play and it was a wonderful diversion from my teaching experience.   Fourth from the left is Danny Prager who lives on the same street as Meagan in San Diego.  Second from the right is John who I dated when I first came to San Diego and next to me on my left is Bob who also wanted to date seriously.  He was very nice but I was not interested in anything more than a friendship.  After I met Bill, I didn't date any of the locals.

These young adults all were single and living in Fourth Ward in San Diego so we had lots of fun activites.  There were many more other single adults, also.  It was a very fun ward for us to be in--North Park of San Diego.  I am, of course, the fifth from the right and I was playing the part of the mother in the play and Danny was my son, thus I had powdered grey hair.  The big scene was when I had to kiss my husband...I can't remember if it was Bob or Chuck.  Chuck, on my right, introduced me to Bill when he brought him to my school.  Bill told me later it was love at first sight.  We did have a fun romance with dancing, dinners, sailing, the zoo, and the beach.  San Diego was a fun, sleepy town in the 50's.

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far