Friday, March 09, 2012

Winds of War

I am watching this series that Herman Wouk wrote about WWII.  It really struck me in one scene.  So many times soldiers are criticized or punished for killing innocent people yet, when Germany attacked Poland in 1939 the poles were trying to leave their cities and the Naziis came at them over and over with planes with machine guns.  There were no enemy soldiers  they were shooting at or munitions they were bombing, just innocent people trying to get away.

Listening to the devious lies of Hitler reminded me again of the gross mistrust I have of some of our government leaders in these latter days.  There is so much deception and greed and power grabbing with no regard for what is best for America and her people.  Hitler was able to get away with so much in the beginning because the people could not conceive of the evil he was capable of.  Many called him crazy but still couldn't understand.  He actually told the world the Poles had been attacking Germany for months before Germany retaliated in their surprise attack.  He was proud of the fact he was deceiving England and France with his lies.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."   Edmund Burke

I don't like the character Ali McGraw plays anymore than I liked the character she played in "Love Story".   She doesn't seem like someone guys would be so in love with, very manipulative and self serving.  In "Love Story" I hardly could sit through it.  I did not like her foul tongue and as I say I did not think she was lovable at all.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far