Sunday, September 02, 2012

Thoughts on Utah

Greg T said from the pulpit that I looked 10 years younger today and he wondered what was different in my life.  It was just that I had finally made a decision and had the "next step" in my life figured out.  It must have shown on my face.  It is so hard to be in a quandry about what you should do, where you should go, when should you do it.  I am so thankful we can pray for direction and get answers and you know it is an answer from the Lord when it is something you have not thought of and yet it feels so right. 

I was just reading yesterday a quote from Pres Hinckley:

"Pray for wisdom and understanding as you walk the difficult paths of your lives.  If you are determined to do foolish and imprudent things, I think the Lord will not prevent you.  But if you seek His wisdom and follow the counsel of the impressions that come to you, I am confident you will be blessed."

I was born in Ogden, Utah and after we moved to Montana I have very happy memories of visiting our aunts and uncles and their families, the wonderful food, the laughter, the aunts speaking Swedish, the family reunions, Lagoon, so many things.  Aunt Ellen's scones and swedish pancakes always seemed the best I had ever tasted.  Aunt Erica amazed me because she could put on a large delicious dinner and the kitchen would be spotless as we sat down to eat.  I don't know how she did that.  She had a real walnut tree in her front yard and I marveled at that.

I really never wanted to live in Utah.  When I went to BYU those mountains so close made me feel smothered after living on the wide open plains of Montana, big sky country, and it was.  I would sometimes have to "run" to shake the closeness.  But the first Christmas home from college I cried with happiness when I told what a wonderful place BYU was.  I loved every minute of it, the professors, my roommates, the activities, the classes.  It was truly a very happy time in my life.  But I never wanted to live there otherwise.

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far