Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Books, Movies and Candy

I found another Anita Shreve book I hadn't read and finished it "Light in Snow". Her books are so readable...how do writer's do that? I also ordered one of Rick Bragg. He is also such an enjoyable writer, just so fun to read. And I found another one by Barbara Kingsolver I haven't read and two more of Anna Quindlen's. We have a great little library in Chester.
That should keep me busy for awhile. Reading about other people's problems and solutions is so much better than tackling my own. I keep trying to do a new resume and walk around with it in town but I keep putting it off. I am just not confident about anything I can do anymore. What a dope I have turned out to be...
Last night I watched one of the videos I picked up at the library. "Paradise Road" with Glenn Close. It is a true story of a women's prison camp in Sumatra in WWll. They were women from different countries, speaking different languages who had been living in Singapore. A heroic group of them formed a vocal orchestra and performed many times for others in the camp until so many of them had died it was disbanded. The atrocities the women went through did not follow Geneva Guidelines for prisoners. Very disturbing but stirring to watch. War is hell...
On a lighter note, I have been on a sugar bend lately. Something I do when I have something to do I don't want to do (seek a job). I have learned, if anyone needs to know, that Milk Duds are much better than Sugar Babies and Jelly Beans are not good unless they are the Spiced version or Jelly Bellies. Furthermore you cannot lick a lemon drop after eating something as sweet as Milk Duds. (You will have to spit it out).
After hearing all about the Tornado watches around the country my little plot of ground feels very secure and peaceful to me. So thankful...

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far