Saturday, June 21, 2008

Music We Love to Hear

Today I was thinking how interesting the different music on the blogs of my daughters, granddaughter, and I. So what makes us like the different kinds of music? Many of their artists and songs I have never heard before but I like them. So much of what we like is just what we are introduced to.
Speaking for myself, some songs are just beautiful like "Lady in Red" and "Hold Me Till the Morning Comes"--no special artist I like, no special memory it brings to mind, just like to hear them.
Most of the songs I liked in high school, I do not care for presented by the artists or movies of that time but when reprisals are made by Rod Stewart, Michael Buble, Steve Tyrell, Linda Rondstadt etc. I love the music and memories they bring back.
Some songs I have learned to love just by hearing them over and over. During the 2001 disaster in Texas I had a car that had a CD in it of Burt Bacharach songs and I still love to listen to them. That disaster Julie introduced me to Phil Collins and his music. In Spurger, Texas after Hurricane Rita, one of the young management guys introduced me to Al Green, in Galveston, the FEMA computer guy had me buy John Lennon and I learned to love his songs, Randy in Guam reintroduced the Bee Gees and introduced Don Henley songs. My car partner in Guam helped set up my speakers and said I was listening to Reggae--never was sure which they were. It was Hurricane Isabel that I listened to Elton John so much and remembered John had listened to him so much in high school.

Some songs like "I Cried For You" reminded me of Richard and it is very beautiful as well. And it is true, often a song reminds you of a certain person, a certain place, a memory, a time in space and so we want to hear it again and again and remember. It tells a story to us that no one else knows.
Garth Brooks song "Dance" just makes me embrace the heartbreaks I have had in life and so is a positive plus good listening. Our record player when I was in high school was in the living room so whoever was in there had to listen. I remember my Dad casually walking over and stopping the record player after I had played "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now" about 10 times. He never said a word.
I discovered Michael Ball while grieving for Richard. Which reminds me of all the old tapes I have in a carton. They are mostly oldies and Richard liked to carry them in his car and play them when he was showing property to one of his "older" clients. They really loved that music. He never got much into music but he knew they did.
I remember when grandson Michael was riding with me and very calmly said, "Grandma, I think I'm going to be sick if I have to listen to this music." When Meagan was riding with me just a few years ago, she said, "Grandma, I didn't know you were such a romantic." The grandchildren have often asked me to listen to a song to see if I liked it. It is a different beat than I am used to but they usually know which ones I will like.
I love the versatility of going from Rock, to Classic, to Country, to Ballads, etc. It is a wonderful world of music and I am always happy to find a new one I love to hear over and over... I just happened on Chris Botti and his sax, love sax...
My all time favorite?--"Somewhere Over the Rainbow". Listen to Connie Talbot sing it. She sings it like it should be sung. So many artists ruin it by changing the tune. I asked Jacob to learn it to sing at my funeral. Not sure he remembers.
So how do you choose the music you listen to?

No comments:

John Hardy Memorial Hike 2015

My Life So Far